COMMUNITY HISTORY


PLATTED

URBANCREST, OHIO was platted out for public usage as a Village November 1, 1890. The original plat consisted of ninety-nine and ninety-four one hundreths (99 94-100) acres. It's original population consisted of about 30 people.

Samuel and Ella Quinichett were the first African American family to settle the Village of Urbancrest, they built the first home on the corner of First Avenue and Popular Street, now called John Cooley Drive in 1889. The first church was started in 1892 and was held in Samuel and Ella's home, and later formed Union Baptist Church.

 

INCORPORATED

VILLAGE OF URBANCREST, OHIO was incorporated in 1948, Eugene Seabury was appointed as the first Mayor of the village. Hannibal Johnson was the first elected Mayor of the Village.

HISTORY OF MAYORS

 
HONORABLE EUGENE SEABURY
 
HONORABLE WILLIAM H. JOHNSON
(1948-1949)
 
(1949-52)(1953-56)(1957-60)(1961-64
     
 
HONORABLE KENNETH W. E. PENN
 
HONORABLE VAUGHN E. HAIRSTON
(1965-1968)
 
(1969-1971) (1976-1979) (1992-1995)
     
 
HONORABLE ELLEN W. CRAIG
 
HONORABLE LOU SHARP
(1972-1975)
 
(1980-1983)
     
 
HONORABLE GLEN SEABURY
 
HONORABLE VERONICA SHEPPARD
(1984-1987)
 
(1988-1991)
     
 
HONORABLE ELLOUISE J. TROUT
 
HONORABLE MARLIN R. WEST
(1996-1999)
 
(2000-2003) (2004-2007)
     
   
HON. ELDER JOSEPH L. BARNES SR.
   
(2008-11) (2012-15) (2016-PRESENT)
   
     
     

 



IMPORTANT LINKS

Boards & Commissions


The Village of Urbancrest Administration Building 3492 First Avenue Urbancrest, OH 43123
Ph:614.875.1279 Fx:614.875.1359 e-mail:urbancrest@sbcglobal.net

Website created by Robert J. Mitchell